Monday 5 August 2013

TÊTE À TÊTE // WOAHNOWS

We're kicking off another new feature with Plymouth based Anarcho Indie Punkers (and Exchange favourites) WOAHNOWS.

Having just signed to the London indie label 'Big Scary Monsters', WOAHNOWS are about to head out on their European 'The Joy Disorder' EP release tour.

We were lucky enough to catch up with Tim.



Introduce yourself...

I’m Tim and I play guitar and sing, Wherly plays drums and Dan looks after the lower frequencies.

What are you currently Listening to?

I’ve been really enjoying The Sidekick’s new record. Hop Along, Bangers and Gnarwolves are other ones always likely to be on in the van between our old soul and Motown playlist.

Tell us about a significant/influential album...

Such a hard question, there are really just so so many. I might have to go for Taking Back Sunday’s first record ‘Tell all your friends’. It’s super emo but when it first came out and we were young it had that perfect balance of melody with the rockiness of the punk we would be listening to along side it.

What's your favourite place?

Well Wherly lives in Bristol and we’re always happy to spend a lot of time here. I love how many places are squatted around Stokes Croft and how many shops are independent. It’s one of the few places in the UK where people seem to have a sense of ownership of the streets, which I think is really important and exciting.

...How kind! We're happy to have you!


Talk us through a typical day...

Well I really don’t have a very structured timetable so it’s often different. Although I seem to spend most my time either teaching music at the youth club I work at, playing music, walking my dog or misbehaving.

...and Pasty making?



Who would play you in a film?
I used to always get likened to Dr Who, which I hate because he looks kinda dorky, but maybe I should take the hint. So I’d have to say David Tennant, unfortunately.

What's your favourite film?

It would be a toss up between ‘Little Miss Sunshine’ and ‘Amelie’.

Who would be your dream dinner party guest?

Kurt Vonnegut. He’s my favourite author and I’ve read so much of his stuff that when I read him it feels like talking to an old friend. It would have been amazing to meet him.

What was the last gig you went to?

Leopalooza festival. It’s a really nice little festival and you can tell the guys putting it on do it for the right reasons and work really hard at it.



Tell us about your favourite gig...
I don’t think I could ever really pick one, but the first time I saw Five Knuckle at the Phoenix in Plymouth blew my mind. Seeing Arcade Fire headline Reading festival was another show I’ll never forget.


Be sure to catch WOAHNOWS at Exchange on the 26th August for the Deadpunk Bank Holiday Special alongside Sick Of It All and Off With Their Heads. Pre-order 'The Joy Disorder' 12" via their webstore.


No comments:

Post a Comment